What are you doing with your life?

I have heard that question so frequently the past few months and, frankly, it is hard to elucidate a response that is both swift and palatable. I have been keeping quite busy. From an awesome job to speeches to a medical school decision – this has truly been an exciting season in my life. Ready to hear about it?

Earlier this year I began an Administrative Fellowship at AmeriHealth Caritas (Philadelphia), a managed care company that has a sincere bend towards aiding the underserved. The President, Michael Rashid, an incredible visionary and leader, wanted me to experience the business side of medicine before the full educational immersion of healing and treating in medical school. He placed me with the nation’s best Diversity and Inclusion Director, Kelley Cornish, and charged me with learning about Medicaid, Medicare, claims, provider networks, care coordination and more. Kelley has been an uber-helpful manager in transitioning me from the gridiron to corporate America back to academia. She is smart, engaging, understanding and I nicknamed her The Great and Powerful because she must use wizardry to solve these complex problems we see daily. AmeriHealth Caritas, its mission of serving the poor, and its associates like Michael and Kelley are exactly what I needed in this station of my life. I am very thankful.

When I am not at the Fellowship, I have been traveling often. My older brother, McKinley, was just initiated into Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. in Jacksonville, FL so I accompanied him as he entered our great organization. A week later, the Myron L. Rolle Foundation hosted the 1st Annual ‘Rhodes to Success’ – an academic workshop for at-risk foster children in the central Florida region. We held this program in Orlando in conjunction with  Wells Fargo and the Florida Department of Children and Families. Next, I spoke at the Honors Convocation at North Carolina Central University (Durham, NC) to some brilliant young scholars and the ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Luncheon (Greensboro, NC) to high achieving student-athletes. I just returned from a week long United Kingdom Youth Outreach tour on behalf of the US State Department. I spoke to Capital City Academy, Harris Academy Crystal Palace, Harris Academy Peckham, Oxford University (Teddy Hall), and the Active Change Foundation. I absolutely loved the kids I met as they asked profound questions and seemed to connect with my message of equipping your tool belt to be the future leaders of tomorrow. We also threw the American football around a bit which went over quite well to a group used to soccer and rugby!

So where to spend the next four years of my life learning to be an excellent physician? Thankfully, my athletic, academic and philanthropic resume made me a decent candidate for medical schools around the country. And I thought about these factors: 1) the school’s mission meeting my ideology; 2) where I wanted to practice in the future; 3) where my foundation could intersect with my studies; 4) and how much interest a school/community has expressed in me throughout the years. After gathering that information, the choice was clear. I will be attending Florida State University College of Medicine this fall. I am excited and my cup runneth over. So if you see me eating at ‘Up in Smoke’ on Tennessee over the next four years (which I plan to a lot!), make sure you say hello.

That is all I have for now. I pray all of you go forward into this season of your life with the utmost conviction that YOU WILL MAKE IT! And once you do, you become the example that that one person needed to believe he/she can make it too!

Share:
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us

Let us know what you think

• Great to have you come back home. You are truly an amazing person and great Seminole.

scott yancey | May 10, 2013 at 8:38 pm
  • God bless you Myron. FSU is fortunate to have you return to Med school. You are a wonderful ambassador and an even better person.

Beth Herod | May 10, 2013 at 10:49 pm
  • Myron,

I just wanted to say congrats on making it to your dream. I remember watching you on tv the day you received the rhode scholar award. I was a pharmaceutical rep at the time and felt that my life was at a stand still. I remember thinking here I am 26 and making good money but not doing what I was put here to do. When I heard your story that night it hit me that it wasn’t to late to pursue my dream of going to medical school as well. Just wanted to say I am now in my final year of school and couldn’t be more happy for you making the decision to leave the NFL for a better tomorrow. Im sure you dont need any reinforcement on why this was the right decision, but I see it as you should spend the next six to seven years impacting as many people as possible.
    congrats again,
    lang nolen

lang | May 17, 2013 at 1:44 pm
  • Hello brother, greetings to you from Jacksonville State University and our Army Reserve Officer Training Corps(ROTC). I am delighted that you have choose to follow through with your gift in life. You will reap from it 100, 60, or 30 fold in the lives of many. I am writing your because I too share the same or similar vision as you do. I plan to open a Health and fitness Center for people within the community and educated them on health prevention with a more holistic approach. Healing is nature given to us but many do not understand the power of it. I am excited and patience about what is in the future for the people many lives will be save by God glory. If you have any questions or anything just give me a email and we can chat bro.

God has all ready bless us so keep Him first and peace be too you! One love!(Jesus)

JosephBurnett | June 12, 2013 at 3:54 pm
  • Congratulations! I first came across your name as I perused your dads fb page, receiving some well deserved praise (on your behalf of course).Great ,great work and example that you are setting,This helps to renew our faith in our youth!I knew your dad in forms 4 and 5 at St Augustine’s , Nassau,haven’t seen him most likely since 1968—whew!Thanks to FB we have made a little contact recently and I have learnt of your talents and aspirations,I hope and pray for your successes to continue and flourish.
    Best wishes
    Steve Santos

Steve Santos | July 27, 2013 at 5:18 pm
  • Myron….as your former GTMS Science Teacher, all I can say is I am so proud of you! I checked out your webpage over a year ago and was enlightened to see your accomplishments in sports, and now I see you are entering the medical field. Use that “noggin” that the man upstairs has blessed you with….your knowledge in this area of science will help so many people, change so many lives, and you will truly be rewarded knowing that you are helping so many. Just remember…never stop learning!

Veronica Zermeno | August 19, 2013 at 7:14 pm